Friday, April 24, 2015

Missions

My name is Rictor. As Veis mentioned in his post, I am the current leader. Today, I called the others together for a meeting.
"I have assignments for all of you," I told them.
"Great, more work," Vocallass muttered.
"All right, then, we'll start with you," I replied. "David Kallaway has surfaced again."
That got her attention.
"What?" she demanded. "You know where he is?"
"My agents have sighted him dueling in LA," I said. "You are to go there and track him down."
She didn't need telling twice. She left almost immediately. She was defeated once by David Kallaway and Daniel Ferris, acting as a team, and she's held a grudge against both of them since. She'll take any chance she can get at a rematch. Still, I didn't need her getting in to anything reckless.
"Veis," I said. "Do your impression of a hawk."
He nodded to me, and left to go keep an eye of her. That left me alone with Etra.
"Do you... um... need me to go after him too?" she asked.
"I have a different assignment for you," I told her. "One I feel you are more suited for."
"What is it?" she asked.
"I've located Pavouk," I told her.
She fell silent. Well, silenter then usual. Pavouk was one of our old teammates. However, Gordon had never intended to use him for long. Pavouk ran a deck of all Fear cards, which are the only cards that could kill Gordon. Pavouk's sole purpose was to challenge Daniel Ferris, and test his strength. Gordon intended for Pavouk to die in that duel, so that he wouldn't turn on him. Shoggoth's always betray their creators at some point, and Gordon new that Pavouk's betrayal could lead to his death. However, Pavouk did lose the duel with Daniel, but instead of dying, he was consumed by his nature as a Shoggoth, and twisted into a monster. He has since been eluding us.
"I want you to go to him," I said. "Try and reason with him. Get him back on our side. I feel that you should be capable of this."
"And what if I'm not?" she asked. "What if I can't get him to come back to us?"
"Worst case scenario," I said. "I want you to kill him."
She looked horrified.
"But-," she protested.
"That is all," I interrupted. "You may go. Now."
She hesitated for a moment before bowing her head to me and leaving. I sighed, and went to sit down. I don't like it. I never have. Gordon used Pavouk. Like a puppet. He's used all of us. So why do I keep following his orders after he's died?
Because one doesn't stop serving a Star Spawn. Even when they've passed on. Death won't stop their rage. Only a fool will serve a Star Spawn. And it takes a bigger fool to desert them.

-Rictor

No comments:

Post a Comment